CITY OF ROCHESTER HILLS
Starting rate of pay is $26.58 per hour. Employer contributes 18% of salary toward pension funds.
The position cultivates and maintains the plants and trees of the city for the Parks & Natural Resources Department. This position is also responsible for administrative functions as it relates to forestry operations. AFSCME Local 2491 position.
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or al/ inclusive. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be required and assigned.
1. Plans and oversees tree maintenance and tree planting programs and contract service providers
2. Inspects trees for maintenance needs, including hazard evaluation and pest/disease ID. Determines salvation or removal of diseased/injured trees. Reviews City projects to ensure health and survival of trees.
3. Establishes and maintains a computerized filing and record-keeping system of tree inventory data, service requests, work histories, and linked GIS.
4. Performs tree/shrub maintenance, planting, pruning, trimming, removing, and any other tree care practices in the City parks, public rights-of-way, or other City property.
5. Performs the City's tree spray program.
6. Develops and writes plans/procedures including long- and short-term maintenance schedules as deemed necessary to improve effectiveness.
7. Conducts tree surveys of City parks and public rights-of-way to collect tree inventory data.
8. Works with leaders to strategize the implementation of beautification projects, discuss maintenance issues, and consider design aspects for applicable areas.
9. Perform specialized tree maintenance work as needed.
10. Assists the Natural Resources Manager with preparation of reports, grant applications, plan review, etc. Provides information required to maintain current grants and programs.
11. Provides service to the public by answering questions and providing information.
12. Responds to tree-related storm damage emergencies.
13. Maintains all records and reports required for the tree maintenance program.
14. Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS/DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
• Bachelor's Degree in arboriculture, horticulture, landscape architecture, forestry or other related field required with three (3) years' experience in forestry, tree care, and maintenance of trees.
• Valid Michigan Driver's License with no more than 4 points currently on record.
• Basic Computer skills.
• ISA Certified Arborist and Pesticide Applicator License preferred. Must obtain ISA Arborist Certification and Pesticide Applicator License within one year of start date.
PHYSICAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
• This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 75 pounds of force; work regularly requires sitting and frequently requires standing and walking on uneven terrain, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, climbing stairs and ladders, and reaching.
• Work may involve mobility over rough or difficult terrain. Work is performed daily both in and outdoors under all weather conditions and includes exposure to inclement weather, noise, vibrations, airborne materials and active construction sites. Work may also be performed above ground.
• The employee is subject to herbicides, insecticides, insects and animals.
• Work in generally in a moderately noisy office setting and in the field.
Oral Evaluation of Qualifications: to evaluate decision-making/problem solving skills, employment history, communication skills, and other factors related to successful performance in this position.
Note: The above examination information may be modified for this or future postings.
It is the policy of the City of Rochester Hills to hire qualified individuals with limiting conditions in accordance with all applicable state and federal laws. Applicants having a limiting disability requiring some special accommodation to participate in the examination process, as described above, must notify the Human Resources department of that fact at the time of application, or at least one week prior to the examination date. Questions relative to this matter should be referred to the Director of Human Resources.
Submit an on-line employment application available at www.rochesterhills.org by February 2, 2018, 5:00 p.m., to receive first consideration. Applications received after February 2, 2018, 5:00 p.m., will receive consideration in the event a candidate is not selected from those who apply by the first consideration deadline.
Employees of the City of Rochester Hills, AFSCME Local 2491, who apply by 5:00 p.m., January 19, 2018, will be given first consideration.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
1000 Rochester Hills Drive Rochester Hills, MI 48309 (248) 656-4708
Position #105 ARBORIST - REVISED POSTING LQ